Are you looking to maximize your catfish business experience! Catfish hatchery is the place to look. The success of any farming endeavours depends largely on the ‘seed’,and catfish business is not exempted from this principle. The rate of your business turnover is determined by the quality of your grow-out which in turn is determined largely by the quality of the fingerlings stocked. Where the seeds are good you can be sure the output shall be excellent. You can either get the most excellent fingerlings from a reputable farm or you produce by yourself and for yourself.
The idea behind this write up is to reveal to you as part of our commitment to help farmers maximize their profit how you can set up a custom made hatchery for yourself using locally available resources.
The benefits of wooden vat hatchery.
Below are some advantages of wooden vat.
• Using the right wood, it is durable
• It is easy to construct.
• It is easy to manage your fingerlings from fry /larvae stage
• Cost effective.
• It is also water efficient. You achieve more with less water
• The inner lining is replaceable to ensure disease control
• Other benefits
Materials needed for the construction of a wooden vat includes:
• Plumbing materials
Steps involved in the design
The following are steps to constructing your wooden vat
1. Determine the size and height that is most suitable for you. This is necessary for ease of management. You also need to put this into consideration to enable better water gravity. Also, the height require for a flow through system is different from the height for WRS
2. Ascertain the types, quality and number of planks required. This is necessary to prevent under and over estimation which might lead to waste of resources.
3. Choose you tarpaulin wisely. Not all tarpaulins is suitable for this purpose.
4. Get a knowledgeable carpenter to work on the wood frame. The input of a professional carpenter really help a lot. As a matter of fact, you need a carpenter from the planning stage to completion.
5. Spread your tarpaulin neatly.
6. Connect your drainage system
7. Connect to water supply
8. Test run to correct any leakages in good time
9. Introduce water into the system to allow for cleaning.
Catfish business is a goldmine if properly understood. The above detailed how to design a cost effective and easy-to-manage hatchery that meet your need. Either you intend going into commercial production of catfish fingerling or for farm use, this design is most suitable for you.
For more information on how to set up a cost effective catfish hatchery or to manage an existing catfish hatchery or grow-out for maximum profit
Olaide M. Abayomi, +2348038082109